donderdag 4 november 2010

NaNoWriMo makes me go crazy...

NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month and was made for people who didn't want to 'someday' write, wich stands for 'someday I'll write a novel. Basicly it's writing a new novel (or 50.000 words) in one month, namely November.

Last year I started to write with a plot that I had for a long time, making some minor changes to the plot that I had before and it went great. As in every novel my characters started to make their own decisions and that drove me crazy at some points, but at least at the end of the month, I reached my quota and was happy about what I wrote.

This year tho, I started without a plot, only deciding a few days before November that I would write about World of Warcraft, just so that I didn't have to give up on playing it. We are five days into November now, and my story sucks, I still haven't played WoW yet and I'm already behind on my wordcount.
The only thing great this year is the program I'm writing in, I just love the typewriter sound in ywriter5 and more had the 'microsoft sam' program read my novel out loud. (it's great how he says 'wich sucked monkey balls xD)
Now that I'm writing for a few days, I'm going crazy again, on day 3 I had already wrote myself and my NaNo friends into the novel, had a discution with my virtuel self for about 600 words and made my female character (who is male in-game) fall in love with my own in-game character (who is female), making my main character bisectual or a lesbian (have to get through the rest of the month to know that). I'm finally getting through the sucky scenes though, today I have let my MC meet her guild in-game, and found out that the blood elf that she/he is in love with, has a boyfriend.
On top of that, I have made a facebook page for my MC, and fought with her over it, wich made me sure about the whole 'going insane' thing.

Anyways, I actually decided to blog about it every day in November, but as you can notice, I tend to forget about my blog. I'll try to update more!

A friend of mine has inspired me to post pieces of my novel online, to get some response and maybe even a little encouragment for writing on. The part I'll be posting is actually the first scene of my novel, it's the only decent thing in it so far, too.
Here it goes, I hope it doesn't suck to much.

****

I was dead, yes five feat beneat the ground, magots feasting on my body, dead… Although it was not my real body that was being devoured by the slimy beasts, it was something that grossed me out. My real body was safely in my bedroom, sitting behind my computer, but my thoughts where elsewhere.
Elsewhere, as in a graveyard, suddenly my ‘virtual body’ started to move again. A voice whispered into my ear, telling me to arise. The voice sounded cold and distend, but at the same time I could here it as clear as crystal. Slowly I rose, my bones made a squeeking sound like an old door that was being pushed open after fifty years. Slowly I made my way on hands and knees and then on my feet. Still feeling akward I stepped out of my grave and stepped out of the crypt.
The dark sky outside had a threatening sight, but felt familiar and at home, as I was meant to be there. In the little moonlight that there was, I looked at my hands, my bony hands with rothing flesh around them. With them I touched my face, also covered with rothing flesh that could fall of at any moment. My face felt weird tho, as if it was not my own, but some one elses.
I looked around, searching the area for something that I could use to look at myself. A few feet from the crypth I found a puddle of dirty coloured water. With still painly bones I walked to it and looked inside, what I saw shocked me. Instead of my own face, a gory, rotting, masculin face looked back at me.
As I stared into the puddle, another undead human came my way. His mouth opened but before he could speak, my attention got distracted.

****

Note that I don't want any grammar correction, I know I'm not good at that stuff, but it's NaNo so I'm keeping the editing for December. (probably won't even do that)

See you.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten